Life Motto

Sunday 8 October 2017

8 Hours in Jaipur. Summed Up.

Areas Covered: Jaipur (6/10/2017)

Rajasthan isn't new to me nor am I to it. Jaipur is one of those cities that I would gladly take a trip to in North India any given day primarily for two reasons; A. I could drive down from Delhi and B. they have some of the best food to offer 

FYI: Good food and driving are the two basis of my existence.

So unlike the 5 times in the past when I visited Rajasthan which were planned to cover a number of locations, this wasn't one of those. This was actually a trip for business that left me time to explore the beautiful city again...........



Jaipur has literally developed and changed itself from the Jaipur I knew about 10 years before. There are cops at every traffic junction, speed guns on city routes, an amazing civic sense in people and some of the cleanest roads I have seen in India.

I began the 8 hour drive around Jaipur after wrapping up a meeting that ended way earlier that I expected. My ride for these 8 hours? A self drive rented out from Revv (a Swift Dzire) to allow me the flexibility to explore it at my own pace.

True to my mannerisms, I started the tour with a local favourite. Sweet and salted Lassi at the Lassiwala on M.I. Road. 


This is literally an institution in itself having served generations over generations since 1944 and yet keeping the essence and the taste in tact. In fact these guys are so popular that they shut down by 4 PM everyday because (guess what) they have none left to sell by then. This place is a must try in case you ever come to Jaipur.

With that sorted, I headed to see the most visited tourist spot in Jaipur- The Amer Fort. Located 12 kms outside the main Jaipur city, this fort is one of the rare Hindu styled forts in India built by the Meena kings. You can choose to take shared jeeps to go up to the fort ( INR 450 for 6 seats) or take an elephant ride to the top or take your car right up to the entrance of the fort (Parking Charges- INR 47). The fort overlooks a lake that is the primary source of water. It comprises of Diwan-i-Aam, or "Hall of Public Audience", the Diwan-i-Khas, or "Hall of Private Audience", the Sheesh Mahal (mirror palace), or Jai Mandir, and the Sukh Niwas where a cool climate is artificially created by winds that blow over a water cascade within the palace built across 4 levels 




The fort overlooks the hill that houses the Jaigarh Fort that is connected through a subterranean passage built for the purposes of an escape during attacks on the fort.

The next site was the not so popular yet majestic, Gatore ki Chattriyaan. These cenotaphs are surrounded by green hills all around it. It was the royal crematorium for the majestic rulers of Rajasthan. Engraved with beautiful Rajasthani carvings, the cenotaphs are where some of the maharajas are cremated. The name chattriyan comes from the shape of the domes and cenotaphs. You can spend about half an hour here and enjoy the beautiful details of the Rajasthani architecture.




Having covered these two sites and the Nahargarh Fort (could not take photos), I decided to head back to the city for some lunch and snacks and seeing the Jal Mahal and Hawa Mahal enroute.

The Jal Mahal is an unique architecture in itself. Located in the middle of the Man Sagar lake, the palace is built in red sandstone, is a five storied building out of which four floors remain under water when the lake is full and the top floor is exposed.




The Hawa Mahal is located bang in the heart of the city flanked by expansive markets and artefacts in its proximity. The famous Johari Bazaar is an ideal spot for local shopping and travel souvenir that can be carried back home. The structure of the Hawa Mahal is a high screen wall built so that the women of the royal family could observe street festivals while unseen from the outside. Parking around the area is always a tough task if you plan to drive to these sites by yourself.



Now that I was done satisfactorily taking in all the history lessons that the city could provide me with in the time that I had I was raring to go visit one of the most anticipated places on my list- the Rawat Mishtan Bhandar.  I was introduced to Rawat back in my post graduate days through a very kind roommate who would get us back some its famed onion, daal kachoris and mirchi vadas everytime he visited home. It was finally the time in life where I had the experience first hand. Order the most exquisite mawa kachori and mirchi vada and you will not stop at one.



And as you enjoy all the city had to offer, evening started setting in and I decided on visiting the place that has probably been the most hyped about in North India for all tourists visiting Jaipur and adjoining areas - the Chokhi Dhani. The entire concept is built around providing you with a first hand experience of Rajasthani rural life and follow it up with an authentic dinner experience to end the night. The services cost you INR 700 ( for the lowest package, other packages are at INR 900, INR 1200) and include multiple village folk shows, dance shows, puppet and magic shows and a treat to some of the best Rajasthani dishes served to you authentic style. A great way to spend an evening out with family if you have the money to spare after your trips that is.






After that filling dinner, served by some of the most hospitable people in the world, it was time for me to call it a day and revel in the satisfaction of having enjoyed a real historical treat with the best food I have had in 2017. 

It was the best 8 hours spent in a long long time and I was doing the two best things I like - Eating and driving around.

Costs incurred: Car (868), Food (including Chokhi Dhani): (810), Parking, tickets and tolls (167)
Total: 1845

Wandering Wheelz of the trip:

Gourab Ray (aka GRay)











No comments:

Post a Comment